I’ve been awarded one of those blog award thingys that go around once in a while. It seems I am a Versatile Blogger. Let’s see… sewing, cats, deer, science fiction, making fun of Libertarians, weird things my brain does, the weather… yeah, I guess you could call that versatility. And he said that I’m “endlessly fascinating.” Wow. Really? That might be the most surprising and flattering thing anyone has ever said about me and it makes me feel a little bit guilty for not being as “fascinating” as I could be lately. I’m always thinking of things to post that I never get around to because I’m more interested in doing something else. I need to start trying harder.
As for the award, you know how these things go – seven things about yourself then award/tag some other bloggers, neither of which is really easy but I’m going to give it a try. Hopefully it will be at least a little bit fascinating.
1. Watching grass grow really is more interesting than watching baseball.
2. I actually sort of enjoy ironing. I’ve always heard people talk about it as if it’s the ultimate drudgery but there’s something about running a hot appliance over a garment and seeing the wrinkles disappear that is both satisfying and soothing. Don’t get me wrong; I don’t like it a lot. I could never be one of those women who “take in ironing” (Does anyone do that anymore?) but it makes for a mildly pleasant half hour a couple of times a week.
3. Insects are fascinating creatures. I especially like ladybugs and those shiny green beetles.
4. For a couple of years when I was in high school I was hooked on Louis L’amour westerns.
5. The school mascot where I would have gone to high school had we not moved from Texas to Arkansas was the Panthers. The school mascot where I did go to high school was the Panthers. The mascot where my kids went to high school was also the Panthers.
6. I’m having a hard time getting used to looking my age. For most of my adult life people have always thought I was younger than my actual age. Someone once even thought I was my son’s sister. (That sounds kinda creepy worded that way doesn’t it?) I was never especially flattered because I didn’t believe it. I just thought anyone who thought I was younger was bad at telling age. But now it bothers me that it hasn’t happened for at least five years. Now complete strangers look at me and just assume that I’m over fifty, that I’m a grandmother, that I experience hot flashes, etc. Somehow, the truth feels insulting.
7. I almost never wear makeup. I sort of feel like a social outcast not wearing it so sometimes, for special occasions or when I’m going to be close face-to-face with someone, like the dentist or optometrist, I’ll put on makeup but whenever I do I always can’t wait to wash it off. I don’t like the way it feels. I also never really learned to do it right so I don’t especially like the way it looks on me either.
And now to pass it on to a few people. I think I’m supposed to come up with seven? I read a lot of single topic blogs that can’t really be called versatile, even though they are very good, and lately I’ve been neglecting blog reading altogether except for a very few favorites so it will be hard to come up with more than one or two but anyway, here are just a few. Pass it on or not, as you like.
Fillyjonk’s Progress – Posts about quilting and knitting, life at the University where she teaches, just life in general and very often cute, silly things. Definitely versatile.
Dustbury – Everything from local and national news and politics to women’s shoes. If that’s not versatility I don’t know what is.
AMCGLTD – An old favorite but it’s actually been a long time since I’ve read this one regularly. That needs to change. There’s always something interesting there – short posts with links on a variety of topics. Some politics, (which I mostly disagree with) some science, some cats and silly things.