These are my two most recently completed sewing projects. I used the timer on my camera so not the best quality photography. I posed in the kitchen this time because it’s our only bright, cheerful room.
First, the subtle and reasonable pink:
I despise taupe by itself but it’s the perfect background color for this charming print of old-fashioned chairs, tables, lamps, birdcages, picture frames and various other household items in vintage-y colors. Originally I had planned to make a blouse but soon after I got it I had a vision of it as the skirt of a dress with a pink gingham bodice. The pattern I used is Kwik Sew 2671 but I modified the neckline and arm openings so I can wear it without a shirt underneath and I squared up the pockets. I am very pleased with the way it turned out.
And now the outrageous pink:
I saw this fabric last summer and instantly fell in love with it. View the original to get a better look at the print. It has butterflies, dragonflies, ladybugs, and flowers. I bought enough for a dress without having any idea of exactly what I wanted do with it. Pretty soon I started worrying that buying it had been a mistake. What could I possibly make of it that wouldn’t look like it had been made for some Brobdingnagian toddler? So I waited. I still loved the fabric and didn’t want to rush into anything. Finally the inspiration came to me: a simple A-line with a teal collar and trim. It’s the color of the hummingbirds on the print and seemed like the most “grown-up” color, and I really like pink and teal together.
I used two patterns to make it. The neckline, collar, and shoulders are like Simplicity 4632 but other than that the dress is mostly Simplicity 5010 because it fits me without any alteration, plus I added pockets because pockets are essential. I’m wearing it right now and I’m very happy with it. I wore it to buy groceries earlier and did not receive any comments nor even a shocked or disapproving stare. Maybe everyone was just being polite.